Sunday, May 09, 2010

Too Long...

So, since it was the end of FEBRUARY since I last posted, there is a lot to get caught up on. I will point out some highlights...

March Highlights:

Quarter of a century birthday fun - on the 23rd, I turned 25... enjoyed my time with friends

Faculty Follies - a faculty talent show that was put on as a fundraiser. Friends of mine and I did a "Thriller Remix" dance... video and photos to follow.

April Highlights:

SPRING BREAK!! - I had a wonderful visit with Brooke - we travelled to Istanbul and explored around Sofia. Too much time on the overnight train, but we saw some great sights, and had a wonderful time :) It is always wonderful to have friends/family from home visit. It seems to enable me to connect this life to my life I lived in the U.S. thus validating my experiences and the life I have lived here these past two years... weird, I know, but it is a common feeling.

Lil Jon Concert - Lil Jon came to Sofia. So weird. So crazy. And so fun... I am not sure I have had so much fun watching/listening to the worst musical talent (or lack thereof) in my life...

May Highlights (so far):

Long Weekend #1 in Koprivshtitsa - A Bulgarian/American/Ukrainian wedding. Beautiful weather, great fun, and a quintessential experience for my two years in Bulgaria. I now feel that my stay here is complete in my cultural experiences. Now, there are so many more things I would love to do and see here in this country, but there is just no way I will be able to fit it all in before I leave :) That is why I will have to return for a visit in the future. To follow the wedding, my roommates, our friend Jaime and I drove another two hours south to a place outside Plovdiv, called Bachkovo. Here there is an amazing mountain monastery and hiking in a nature reserve. It was absolutely lovely and we had a wonderful time. It was good to have a hike through the Rodope Mountains, getting some fresh air after such a "celebratory" weekend.

Rest of the month - The seniors are ALREADY finished with school (all seniors in Bulgaria are done with school by now). Graduation is in a couple of weekends, followed by another long weekend, where we have planned a return trip to Thassos, Greece. It should be a lovely way to celebrate the spring, the coming of summer, and to enjoy some beach exposure in the meantime before we finish up the school year.

I cannot believe that I am almost done here in Bulgaria. I am still looking for a job in the U.S. but I have some good leads, so keep your fingers crossed! Being here in the Bulg has been an amazing experience, and one that has led me to meet some wonderful people and friends who I hope to stay in touch with and see in the future. Bulgaria is such a beautiful and amazing country with such a unique culture that I have loved to be somewhat a part of and getting to know. Time certainly does fly...

Photos to follow!

1 comment:

Petya K. Grady said...

Hey! I just found your blog! We are doing the same thing, just approaching it from opposite directions. Cool, no?! It's good to "meet" you! And I look forward to browsing your archives.